Introduction from the Chair
The chairperson will reflect on the past, present and future of women in leadership positions in the insurance sector.
- How far have we really come since the days of the old boys club?
- What does the future look like for the next generation of female executives?
- Creating an inclusive culture that embraces women from diverse ethnic backgrounds
Vanessa Morton – Director, Gary Morton Insurance Brokers
PANEL DISCUSSION: Smashing through the glass ceiling
Smashing through the glass ceiling – hear from successful women making their mark in the insurance sector. Be inspired by our incredible line-up of successful women in insurance defying all odds to get to where they are today.
- Strategies for effectively juggling work and family life
- Overcoming challenges that women face in insurance
- How do you break the boys’ club mentality?
- What your organisations should do to create a diverse and inclusive workforce
Gillian Davidson – Partner, Board Member and Chair of the Diversity & Inclusion Advisory Committee, Sparke Helmore Lawyers
Tricia Hobson – Global Chair and Australia Chair, Partner and Head of Insurance Australia and Asia Pacific, Norton Rose Fulbright
Niki Kesoglou – Global Head of Diversity and Inclusion, QBE
Wendy Lenton – Group Executive – People and Culture, nib
Stacey Williams – Executive General Manager – Sales and Engagement, Gallagher Bassett Australia
Overcome unconscious bias in the insurance profession
Institutional unconscious bias towards women is prevalent in the insurance profession. How should we react when confronted with individual instances of unconscious bias?
- Understand unconscious bias and its impact in the workplace
- How can you constructively address unconscious bias if you encounter it?
- How to overcome unconscious bias in succession planning, recruitment and promotion
Carlie Griggs – Divisional Manager – Specialty, JLT Australia
Morning tea refreshments
PANEL DISCUSSION: Will diversity quotas solve the problem of female representation in executive positions?
The insurance sector has traditionally been a male-dominated industry and has been slow to progress gender diversity within teams. Are gender quotas the answer?
- The pros and cons of gender targets vs quotas
- ‘Moving the needle’ on gender equality
- How can male champions of change make a difference?
Susan Karson – Chief People, Marketing and Corporate Affairs Officer, MLC Life Insurance
Linda Johnson – Agency Development Manager, Elders Insurance
Rebecca Wilson – General Manager, Austbrokers ABS
Angus Kench – Vice President Claims – Asia Pacific, Liberty International Underwriters & National President, Australian Insurance Law Association
How to be a resilient leader
Resilience is a critical trait for all successful professionals, regardless of gender. In this inspiring session, go beyond the boundaries of the workplace; be inspired by Katherine and how she overcame setbacks to achieve success.
- How to become an established leader within your field
- How to become an authentic and resilient leader
- Empowering advice to help you to meet your professional and personal goals
Katherine Gobbi – Chief Executive Officer, EMLife
Future-proofing equality: being the change
Some real-life views on why it is so important to create the change we wish to see in our own homes.
- The importance of challenging traditional gender norms and our own unconscious bias
- Why we must play the “long game” of change through future generations
- The power of female influence to shape and create future male champions of change
- Overcoming the challenge of gender bias in our children – is it bigger than us?
Tiana Iuvale – Manager – Broker Solutions QLD, CGU Insurance
Driving organisational change by incorporating flexible work practices
Organisations offering flexibility within the workplace will likely build stronger relationships with their employees and enhance productivity.
- How to manage the demands of family and career
- Engaging men with flexible work arrangements
- Finding the right balance to develop industry knowledge and career progression
Jon Downes – Head of Legal – Australasia, Willis Towers Watson
IN-CONFERENCE WORKSHOP: Equip yourself with the tools and techniques to become a resilient female leader
In this in-conference workshop, you will learn how to break free from the double bind and achieve balance as women leaders, learning to communicate confidently and gain respect from your peers.
- Is there a perception that women need to be hard, masculine and unemotional in order to succeed as leaders? How do you find the right balance of being assertive and overcompensating?
- Do we need an authentic personal brand? How to effectively negotiate your career pathway
- How to make an impact in meetings and boardrooms
- How to deal with difficult conversations around harassment, discrimination and sexism
Demetra Day – Financial Institution and Commercial Crime Underwriting Manager – Asia Pacific, Chubb